The origin of Nuremberg dates back to 1050 while between 1400 and 1600 the city lived its period of greatest splendor, with the birth of many commercial and craft activities.
The main street of the center is Königstraße, where the House of customs (Mauthalle) and the impressive Frauentorturm tower are located.
The main meeting point in the city is the Market Square, here are held numerous events including the Christmas market.
The Imperial Fortress built on the hill of Nuremberg was one of the most important fortified palaces of the Holy Roman Empire and remained the center of power until the Thirty Years’ War.
At the time of the Holy Roman Empire it was used as an occasional seat of emperors. Its great importance acquired it definitively in the Middle Ages, when it became one of the most important royal palaces in Europe.
Nuremberg is probably the German city along with Berlin and Dresden that suffered the most from the devastation of the Second World War, since it was considered the nerve center of Nazism. Here the “Nuremberg Trials” took place, where an international military tribunal judged the crimes of the Nazi hierarchs.