Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia is the main Orthodox cathedral in Bulgaria.
Built in neo-Byzantine style in 1882, it was completed in 1912 while its consecration dates back to 31th 1970.
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is one of the largest Orthodox cathedrals in the world and one of the symbols of the city of Sofia.
Until 1920 the church was dedicated to Saints Cyril and Methodius but later took its name from the Russian prince St. Alexander Nevsky as a tribute to the help that Russia gave to Bulgaria to achieve its independence during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878, which liberated Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire.
Inside, moreover, some relics of Aleksandr Nevskij are preserved.