Starting from the center of Sarajevo you can reach Mount Trebević thanks to the new cable car that in less than 15 minutes climbs to 1600 meters above sea level. Mount Trebević is famous for being one of the venues of the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympic Games.
In 1977, after the official award of the Olympic Games in Sarajevo, the construction of a bobsleigh and toboggan run began. The project was completed in September 1982. The facility was inaugurated during the European Bobsleigh Championships in 1983. During the Olympics the bobsleigh and luge competitions were a great success thanks to over 50,000 spectators.
With the onset of the Bosnian War the track was damaged during the siege of Sarajevo, as it was used as an artillery position by the Bosnian Serb forces. The structures of the track have remained almost intact even if they obviously show the signs of war, during the track there are several holes caused by the explosion of grenades and bullets.
In 2004, following an extensive demining operation, restoration and conservation work began on the former Olympic facility, which is still ongoing today.
In the center of Sarajevo, connected by a series of stairs and a few steps from the Markale is the Olympic Museum of Sarajevo. The Sarajevo Museum of the XIV Winter Olympic Games was officially inaugurated on 8th February 1984 during the Olympic Games.
The Olympic Museum in Sarajevo was one of the first cultural institutions bombed and destroyed at the beginning of the Bosnian War. During the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of the XIV Winter Olympic Games in Sarajevo, the Museum was rebuilt and officially reopened in the presence of Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee.
Inside the Museum there are numerous relics of the time donated but also survived the damage of the war.