Travnik is a town of about 75,000 inhabitants in the heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina, about 80 km northwest of the capital Sarajevo. It develops along the Lašva valley and is surrounded by the Vlašić and Vilenica mountains.
Due to its strategic position, during the period of Ottoman occupation Travnik was the residence of the Vizier.
Even during the Austro-Hungarian period, it continued to be the most important diplomatic center of Bosnia, becoming a reference point for trade and the production of wood and textiles.
In the city there are various testimonies of the city’s heyday, while in 1900 it became famous for being the birthplace of the Nobel Prize winner Ivo Andrić who set here the famous novel “The Chronicles of Travnik”.
The most important buildings in the city are the Šarena Džamija Fortress and Mosque.
The Fortress was built between the end of the fourteenth and the beginning of the fifteenth century but was enlarged during the Ottoman domination becoming a real defensive stronghold among the largest in all of Bosnia. To the walls and ramparts, inside there is a room set up with a historical and ethnographic collection.
In the area of the fortress stands, since the Ottoman era, the Stari Grad.
In the center of the city is the Šarena Džamija Mosque nicknamed “Colorful Mosque”.