The border between the Kingdom of Italy and the Austro-Hungarian Empire was still the one established in 1866, after the Third Italian War of Independence.
In 1882 the Triple Alliance between Italy, Austria-Hungary and the German Empire was stipulated but the Austrians, continuing to fear an attack from Italy, scattered the border with military fortifications.
On the night of 24th May 1915, the Italian soldiers of the 1st Battalion of the 80thInfantry Regiment “Roma” crossed the border first and removed the imperial insignia.
In doing so, the Kingdom of Italy declared war on the Austro-Hungarian Empire and entered the First World War.
After the conclusion of the Great War and the defeat of the Central Powers, the Italian-Austrian border acquired the dividing line that it still maintains today.
100 meters away is also the ancient border established in 1521, which divided the territories of the Republic of Venice and the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which would last until the disappearance of the Serenissima in 1797.