The House-Museum of Mother Teresa was built in the center of Skopje in 2009 in view of the centenary of her birth, and is dedicated to the memory of the life and works of this benefactor of humanity and Nobel Peace Prize.
The House-Museum is located in the place where the Catholic Church Sacred Heart of Jesus stood in which it was baptized and which was destroyed by the earthquake of 1963.
The building consists of three floors ranging from stone to white concrete to finish with the glass of the chapel to symbolize past, present and future.
The interior is furnished with authentic furniture to give the idea of what a Macedonian dwelling was like at the beginning of the twentieth century, in the years that Mother Teresa spent in Macedonia.
Among the exhibits is a copy of Mother Teresa’s baptismal certificate issued in 1928, her sari and a portion of the awards she received during her lifetime.
Above the exhibition space is a chapel where Pope Francis, visiting the country, held a mass on 7th May 2019.
Maria Theresa of Calcutta (Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu) was born in Skopje in 1910 and died in Calcutta (India) in 1997. Her work in Calcutta for the benefit of the poor has made her one of the most famous people in the world and has brought her many awards. These included the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
Maria Theresa of Calcutta was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 9th October 2003.
She was then proclaimed a Saint by Pope Francis on 4th September 2016.