Les Invalides and Musée de l’Armée – Paris

Louis XIV in 1670 commissioned the construction of Les Invalides which was intended to provide a shelter to take care of wounded, old, crippled or fragile soldiers and ensure their subsistence.

In the complex of Les Invalides there is also a church surmounted by a golden dome, under which stands the tomb of Napoleon and other war heroes. 

Napoleon’s ashes were brought to Les Invalides by Saint Helena on 15th December 1840. In 1861 they were moved to the crypt. 

Within the complex is also the Musée de l’Armée, created in 1905 by the merger of the Artillery Museum and the Army Historical Museum. The Army Museum, one of the largest museums of military history in the world, preserves weapons, ancient armor, small artillery, objects that belonged to famous generals, documents and paintings. Very interesting in the Museum is the permanent exhibition dedicated to the Second World War. 

The complex also includes the soldiers’ church, which preserves a collection of flags stolen from the enemy during the various military campaigns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top
error: Content is protected !!