The river Ljubljanica, from the times of the ancient Romans until the affirmation of the railways of the mid-nineteenth century, was the main route of trade and supply.
The Dragon Bridge (Zmajski most), decorated with the famous dragon sculptures, is one of ljubljana’s most famous images.
On the site of the bridge of the architect Plečnik, built in the years 1931-32, once stood the wooden bridge that in the Middle Ages connected two important centers of the city of Ljubljana, the squares Mestni trg and Novi trg.
On the bridge stood the shoemakers’ shops, hence also the name of the bridge.
The characteristic appearance of the bridge is given by the typical balustrade, with simple columns and high columns of various size.